Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Adult Grilled Cheese




I told my girls we were having grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight for dinner and cheers rang throughout my house! It is a favorite of theirs--which they inherited from me--I have loved it since I was a child. Mom's home canned tomato soup and oozy grilled cheese sandwiches were always welcome.

I have since perfected the grilled cheese sandwich for my more grown up taste buds and for healthier reasons because adding the extra fillings and using whole wheat bread means eating only 1/2 or a whole sandwich versus devouring 3-5 grilled cheese sandwiches--which my husband can do!

The Recipe:

2 Slices of Whole Wheat or Whole Grain Bread
3-4 different kinds of your favorite cheese (I love Provolone, Muenster, Romano, Parmesan, Mozzarella and Colby Jack) I mix and match them depending what I have on hand.
1/2 avocado thinly sliced
1/2 small tomato thinly sliced
1/4 caramelized onion

I layer the cheese next to the bread you don't need to overdo it on the cheese because there are so many other amazing flavors. Put the other toppings in the middle of the sandwich. Then lightly spread about 1/4 tsp. butter on each side of bread put in your grill/frying pan and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted. I used a regular skillet and just put the lid on top which will help the cheese melt more quickly without burning the sandwich. Then take off pan, slice and add some alfalfa sprouts--I grow my own and they are packed with nutrients! More on sprouts another day! Enjoy--this is my favorite sandwich! You can eat with some tomato soup but this sandwich stands well on its own. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! And I love your header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy Jen, that looks delicious! I think I'll try that tonight. Love these recipes you're sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! So did you create that header on your own? I've been trying to come up with something cute for my blog and have failed many times- any advice?

    ReplyDelete

Followers