Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Quinoa







I have recently discovered Quinoa pronounced (keen-wa). It is a fantastic replacement to grain. A little history and nutritional information about this super-grain. It is actually not a true grain. It's actually a seed of a leafy plant related to spinach. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein. Unlike other grains it is not missing the amino acid lysine. So the protein is more complete like the other "non-true grains, buckwheat and amaranth. It offers more iron than other grains and also contains high levels of potassium and riboflavin. It also contains B Vitamins: B6, niacin, thiamine. It is also a good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese and has some folate.




My family loves it. So in this recipe I use Quinoa in place of rice. It's light and fabulous and I will have more delicious recipes to come. This one is:











Coconut Curry with Grilled Chicken, Veggies and Quinoa


Enjoy!!!


Recipe:

1-2 Grilled/sliced chicken Breasts

2-3 cups Green Beans (Frozen or Fresh)

2 Carrots Sliced, diced, or cut

1 sweet onion diced

2 Tbl. Yellow Curry Powder

1 Can coconut milk (natural not sweetened)

1/2 lime

1 Tbl. Agave Nectar (natural sweetener)

1 tsp. ginger (fresh is always better but I didn't have it on hands so I used powdered)

pepper to taste

Chopped Toasted Almonds


2 cups cooked Quinoa


1. Saute onion in pan on med. heat until translucent. Add grilled chicken, carrots, and green beans. Cook until tender. Add Coconut Milk, yellow curry, lime, agave nectar, ginger, and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes.


2. Cook Quinoa in water. I used my rice cooker and it turned out great--I don't know measurements. You'll have to look at pkg. directions.


3. Serve with Quinoa and toasted almonds on top.


I had my chicken pre-grilled and frozen so this meal took me minutes to prepare. My girls loved this meal--they kept saying how wonderfully delicious it was. Of course that makes me happy! :o)












2 comments:

  1. I have been on a huge curry kick lately... any thought of sweet delicious coconuty goodness makes me happy. I will definitely try this recipe. :)

    And I miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers