Thursday, September 3, 2009

Whole Wheat French Bread




It's been awhile. I've been overly tired--and not feeling well lately. I am being checked for my thyroid so we'll see.

We had the missionaries over for dinner. The one recipe I want to share today is the whole wheat french bread. It was so good! I used Bread Flour for the first time and I am hooked!

Recipe:
1 Tbl. yeast
1 1/2 cups of warm water
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
3 Tbl. olive oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour

1. Dissolve yeast in water and add 1 tbl. honey or sucanat. Let it rest until it starts to bubble and foam a bit.


2. Add salt, oil, and 1/2 of the flour. I used my mixer--so I don't have to knead it my hand. You can use a kitchen aid or something like it or mix and knead by hand the old fashioned way.

3. Gradually add the remaining flour.

4. Knead (or let your mixer knead for you) until it is smooth and elastic.

5. Let rise until double.
6. Punch down and you can make into one large loaf (which is what I did) or you could make 2-4 smaller loaves.

7. I haven't mastered the art of making a french loaf--but you basically form into and oblong shape--pinch down the edges and then make diagonal slices along the top. I also sprinkled some parm. cheese and fresh rosemary on top.

8. Let it rise until it doubles again.

9. Bake at 375 for about 30 min. depending on your oven. It only took about 25 ming. in my oven.

I made an olive oil/butter garlic spread to go on it.
Use 1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup butter
1 clove garlic
1 tbl. fresh rosemary

Blend in foodprocessor. Chill for a few hours and serve with your warm bread!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your blog, especially when I saw your instructions on how to make yogurt! I'm sure you've read it but Animal, Vegetable, Miracle has inpsired me to do my own food prep. Anyway, I look forward to more and let us know if you try cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to find your blog...

    Hope you will stop by and visit my new Christmas blog. There is a great giveaway that ends tonight...
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers