Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Healthified Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Dip




I have to tell you I normally don't pick or taste while I cook--but I couldn't help myself on this one. By doing so I made an important discovery--the dip is much better cold not cooked. Oh it was fine cooked--about like every other spinach artichoke dip but cold--I keep craving it cold--I'm going to have to make another batch to satisfy my craving! I love fresh spinach and that is why when it's cold it's so delectable! Plus it was creamier. When you use low-fat and less cheese when it gets hot it's not as smooth and creamy--a little more cottage cheesy. Don't get me wrong--I just made it sound horrible hot--it wasn't--we still managed to devour it and my girls loved it! The first picture is baked the 2nd is raw/cold.

Recipe:
* 1/2 pkg. reduced fat or fat free cream cheese
* 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
* 1/2 cup yogurt drained (you drain your yogurt by putting a cheesecloth over a strainer and letting it sit in the fridge for a few hours--I usually let mine sit overnight. It makes a thick creamy yogurt the consistency of cream cheese/sour cream).
* 12-16 oz. of artichoke hearts in water not marinated
* 1 roasted red pepper chopped
* 1/2 cup good Parmesan cheese grated
* 2-3 cups fresh chopped spinach
* 1 clove garlic
* 1 Tbl. lemon juice (I didn't use it in this batch--I forgot--it would be good either way).
* Salt and pepper to taste


1. Combine softened cream cheese, yogurts, artichoke hearts garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in food processor or blender. Mix--pulse.

2. Pour into bowl and add roasted peppers, fresh chopped spinach, and Parmesan cheese.

3. I serve mine with the best healthy chips I've ever tasted. The brand is: Food Should Taste Good. I can get mine in the grocery store in the health food section but you can order them online. We've tried the multi-grain, sweet potato, and jalapeno. The sweet potato are our favorite with the multi-grain right up there with it. They have about 11 different flavors. Online you have to buy a case of 12 but you can mix and match all the flavors. Sorry for the plug but they really are good. I promise I'm not getting paid to say any of this! Serve with your favorite whole grain chip or cracker. Make sure it doesn't have hydrogenated fat or high fructose corn syrup! Those are major ingredients you really don't want!

4. If you still want to bake it after all of my hype not to you can. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 min or until it's bubbly and browning.








1 comment:

  1. Hey! We missed you last night. Hope you're doing ok. PLEASE take it easy. Question about this recipe too...you use both greek & strained yogurt? I thought they were basically the same thing. Just cuirous because I want to make this during Christmas and don't want to mess it up...I have a tendancy to do that!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers