Friday, September 11, 2009

Doctors

So I have something to confess...I'm a bit of a Dr. snob! Yes it's true, I'm extremely picky when it comes to choosing a doctor. I value a Dr. that knows they don't know my body better than me--that also can admit they don't know everything, and that actually cares. Despite my healthy diet and faithful exercising regimen I have been having some health issues lately. The worst part has been the total and complete fatigue--horrible--my house is suffering! Anyway I have a lengthy list of weird symptoms.

I first went to my gynecologist--because--well I haven't been normal ever since I had a miscarriage this past spring. I've just felt out of wack. She did the normal fun exams us girls get to have once a year and then I had some blood work done. My results--well I'm pretty darn healthy! Everything looked normal so they told me. The only thing that was a little off was my overall cholesterol was a bit high--it was sitting at 241. They like you to be below 200--but they said they weren't concerned because my good cholesterol was so stinking high it kind of didn't matter--it was 93. I told you I eat healthy--good fats, veggies, fruit, etc.

But there is still this problem of fatigue, enlarged thyroid(that comes and goes), heart palpitations, acne, weight gain, numb/tingling feet and hands, etc--the list does keep going but I won't bore you with that. So I made an appointment to see a family doctor. I left frustrated and mad after she told me to wait it out for 2-3 months and offered to prescribe me anti-depressants!

So I picked up the phone and called goog-411. A free phone directory assistance for businesses. I said Chattanooga TN, and Endocrinologist. I found an endocrinologist and called to set an appointment. They were able to squeeze me in the very next day because they had a cancellation.

After waiting for an hour and a half I was at my wits end with my girls and with the doctor--my time is important too--I thought--I was tired. Finally I got my time with the Dr. I went in the back brought my girls and we sat down in his office--what no nurse? NO--it was just him. He talked with me asked me my symptoms, asked other questions that were not even related to my symptoms--so I thought, and asked who referred me--I told him I referred myself. He asked who my primary care doctor was and I told him I was in the process of changing--I saw the last one once. He said oh you didn't like her--I proceeded to tell him her "treatment" to me. He was surprised and disappointed by that. He then had me go into the exam room and he took my blood pressure, and checked different things--the normal things a nurse would usually check. Then we went over to the little lab and he drew my blood. We then went back to his office and he told me what he thinks I have and said we will talk more later. In 2 weeks I go back for some more tests--also waiting to see what the labs are of the blood he took yesterday.

So he didn't think I was crazy. He was good--he cared. He listened to me. I was amazed at his knowledge and his intuition. He's from India. We live in a fast paced world--doctors see as many patients as they possibly can in one day. He doesn't--he sees about half the patients a normal doctor would see--because he spends time with them and does all the evaluating himself. At first I thought maybe he was just trying to save cost and that is why he didn't have a nurse--but really it's how he gets to know his patients and how he diagnoses them. I experienced medical care that I have rarely had--if ever. It was refreshing. I felt like it was the way it should be. I will keep you posted on my diagnosis--but I think I am in good hands!

4 comments:

  1. We've had conversations about doctors before, so you know how I feel too. :) I'm so glad you are getting the care you need. And I hope all is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand!!! It feels so great when you find a doctor that you just fit with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- I hope you find out what's going on and feel better soon. Now that I am in nursing school and spend a lot of time in the hospital I see the shortcomings of health care and how little attention doctors pay to their patients. Most the time it is not their fault, but I wish more could be like the doctor you saw. That is a unique experience. As a nurse, we do the best we can to care for patient but of course we can't take the place of or play the role of the doctor, and unfortunately we are the ones who get to know the patients so much better. I think its fantastic that your doctor wanted to be involved in all aspects of your care! Most doctors have good intentions, but I know it can be frustrating. Don't give up! PS- thanks for the plug on my blog! Glad you love it. I think I'm going to try making my own yogurt soon- probably Greek though- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about Dr. I have 2 appt in the morning. One Dr. I like and one I am not as comfortable. Still working on what to do. YOu need to feel they are as concerned as you and are going to be able to diagnos correctly and solve the health issue with you. Have a good :Sunday

    ReplyDelete

Followers