Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Apple Puffed Pancakes



This weekend I was ready for Fall. Oh I love fall--crisp weather, beautiful colors, and the food changes. Savory dishes, cinnamon, nutmeg, squash, pumpkin, apples. Don't get me wrong--I love love love summer and all the fresh fruits and veggies--but when fall rolls around my body seems ready for the change. It's not crisp and cool here yet--in fact it's been in the 80's still--but I made some fall dishes.

The first one is a favorite--oven baked puff pancakes. I had to do some modifying to make these healthier--and I succeeded. They were great! Enjoy these on a nice fall morning soon--they are quick and easy and healthy.

Recipe:
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour

2/3 cup milk (you can use skim, almond, rice, goat)

4 TB. Honey

3 large eggs

4 egg whites (I used the egg beater egg whites)

1 apple cored and diced

1 TB. butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

dash salt


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a casserole dish place 1 TB. butter--place in oven for a few min. enough to melt butter. The take out spread butter around pan and add the apples and cinnamon. Put back in the oven and bake for about 5 min. while you mix up the pancakes.

2. I mix in my blender--it's fast and easy. Mix milk, eggs, honey, salt, and whole wheat pastry flour.

3. Pour over cooked apples and bake until puffed and golden. About 15-20 min.

4. I served with Grade A Maple Syrup and Apple Butter--I found apple butter with no added sweeteners--it's yummy.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers