Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Nut Butter Cookies




I have not posted any desserts on here. I make them occasionally--in fact I have a yummy pumpkin cheesecake recipe to share. Sugar in all it's forms (granulated, powdered, honey, maple syrup, sucanat, etc.) is something I'm trying to eat much less of!

My husband loves cookies! They are not my preferred choice of dessert--but he loves them so I make them. I also don't prefer chocolate in desserts--I love anything with fruit and I love cinnamony desserts--baked goods like cinnamon rolls, pumpkin anything, crisps--oh how I love crisps--I will share my healthified versions of those!

I have made a couple different batches of these cookies and I finally think I got it!

Recipe:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Greek or strained yogurt
1/2 cup your favorite nut butter (cashew, almond, peanut, sunflower)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar or sucanat
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I don't use instant--I like the whole regular ones better)
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2-4 Tbl. flax seeds
* Optional: 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (sometimes I use it sometimes I don't)
* 1/2-1 pkg of your favorite chocolate chips (I never seem to use the whole package but you are welcome to. I would add raisins or craisins and a little cinnamon if I wasn't making them for my husband or kids).
* just a side note--use natural nut butters--that means they are ground and nothing is added to them. It's really a switch you should think about making for the health of you and your family. Regular peanut butters are loaded with hydrogenated fats and high fructose corn syrup--2 of the worst ingredients to put into your body. Once you adapt to not having the sweetness natural nut butters are so much yummier--I promise they are! You can actually eat them in moderation and not feel guilty--they are good for you!


Directions:
1. Cream butter, yogurt, nut butter, sugar together. Add vanilla and eggs.
2. Add dry ingredients and mix.
3. Add chips or raisins. You could also add 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped nuts.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes depending on your oven.


Eat these while they are warm--cookies are so much better that way--especially these ones!








2 comments:

  1. what is a greek yogurt and where would you find it? Sounds like a great recipe to try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Greek yogurt is thicker--if you can't find it what I suggest (it's cheaper too) get Plain yogurt and get a small seive strainer and some cheesecloth and lay the cheese cloth in the strainer and pour some yogurt on the cheesecloth. I place another bowl under mine and then stick it in the fridge overnight or for a few hours (at least). A lot of liquid collects in the bowl and then you are left with a thick cream cheese/ sour cream /greek yogurt type texture--it's a great replacement to any of the 3 above--I do it all the time. It makes a great ranch dip for veggies--Just add your seasonings and nothing else! It's me Jenn--I didn't sign in to write this.

    ReplyDelete

Followers